Friday, October 7, 2016

Halloween playlist #5 - Phantom Of The Paradise [1974]

Okay, so, this isn't a horror movie pretty much at all, but being a musical adaptation of The Phantom of The Opera (a story occasionally adapted into horror), I decided to give this a look for the first time this October. And I liked it.

Brian De Palma isn't one of my favorites, but he has a very distinct style and it's put on full display here. It's pretty cheesy in ways (oh nooooo, I can't like anything that's cheesyyy), and the dramatic lighting and unique take on this classic story make it pretty entertaining for people who are like me and love things that are goofy and a little weird. The songs are pretty great and the acting is mostly solid (mainly from the two leads and the hilarious supporting performance from the guy who played 'Beef'), though things do start to unravel somewhat in the third act. It's not a masterpiece, but I would still recommend it. It could be a fun double feature with some other bizarro rock opera musical. Maybe Shock Treatment.

7/10

No comments: