Sunday, October 30, 2016

Halloween playlist #37 - Flavia The Heretic (1974)

This is where things get weird. Nunsploitation is exactly what it sounds like it would be, and is as tasteless as you might think. I haven't seen a whole ton of this particular brand of exploitation, but this one seems to fall somewhere near the middle for me.

There's really not much that I can say about this film without becoming redundant. You read the title and acknowledge the genre, and there you have it. This is a filthy nun movie about sexual repression, packed with a ton of nasty imagery and religious symbolism. I can't say I'm a huge fan of this type of movie, and I couldn't recommend it to 95% of people I know, but there was something weirdly engaging about this story. Religious dramas are always intriguing, but unlike Ken Russell's The Devils, I didn't love this one. Oh, and it's kind of horror. So I'm counting it for my Halloween list.

5.5/10

No comments: