Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Halloween playlist #11 - Play Misty For Me (1971)

My dad has watched this several times and always talked about how it was a very good movie, so I was bound to eventually get around to watching this. I just find it funny that I finally watched it within a month of seeing Fatal Attraction for the first time. This one's better.

As Clint Eastwood's directorial debut, I suppose I'm willing to cut this movie a little slack for being a little weirdly edited and somewhat poorly directed. There are scenes that are very out of place and last far too long (that concert scene was such a bizarre tonal shift, I forgot I was even watching the third act of a thriller), but the subtly creepy atmosphere and terrifying performance by Jessica Walters make up for its flaws. This is by no means a classic, but is still an effective movie that showcases some great acting and manages to succeed at making the mere existence of Fatal Attraction almost entirely irrelevant. This is essentially the same movie, but made 16 years earlier and is every bit as effective. Weird.

6.5/10

No comments: