Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Halloween playlist #17 - King Kong Escapes (1967)

I may have been amazed and flabbergasted by the Shaw Brothers/Hammer crossover The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires, but I don't think I was prepared for this one. Rankin/Bass, the production company responsible for those stop-motion Christmas specials that everyone loves to poke fun at, teaming up with Toho, the Godzilla company. Just let that sink in.

As could be expected, this movie was a glorious gem of entertainment that cannot go by unseen. I am lucky enough to be the proud owner of a DVD copy of this one, so now I can watch it again and again. This movie feels like the one that "broke" the series, being far more ridiculous than it was probably intended to be. To go into everything that makes this movie so entertaining would take up too much time, so I'll just leave you with this:if you enjoy the sillier side of Godzilla/kaiju movies, don't let this one pass you by. It's so much fun.

8.5/10

No comments: