Friday, October 21, 2016

Halloween playlist #23 - Stage Fright: Aquarius (1987)

Due to my girlfriend's undying love for Italian horror, I've been subjected to some questionable entertainment. I first introduced her to the staples - Suspiria, Deep Red, Black Sunday - and from there she was hooked. So now I get to watch things like this. And honestly, it wasn't half bad. It wasn't as unsettling as something like The New York Ripper, but was less aggravating, so it all balances out.

This is from the same director as Cemetery Man, a movie I didn't instantly love, but has grown on me over time; in the very least, it was a billion times better than that *other* Dylan Dog movie. But in spite of the fact that this is a definite step down, the mood and bizarreness of this film more than outweighs its negative traits, like the low production quality and lack of likable characters. I can't say I loved this one by any means, but for a movie about a crazed killer with an owl mask running around killing people preparing for a theatrical production, I can't say it would be reasonable to expect to love it. Entertained, however, I was.

6/10

No comments: