Monday, October 17, 2016

Halloween playlist #15 - The Reflecting Skin (1990)

I didn't know how to feel about this movie too much, so I've hesitated to write this review, but since it's technically horror (ish?) I guess I have to. This movie kind of made me feel sick. It's pretty disturbing in several ways, demonstrating what we all already knew about children: they are evil. And not just evil, but they're gross, too. I felt very grossed out during this movie, and also occasionally found myself almost laughing. But I believe that was intentional, even though slightly understated.

Can you tell that I'm struggling here? The biggest downfall of this movie is the acting from the main kid, which is actually one of the things that kept this from being a really good, albeit totally inconceivably weird and difficult. Viggo Mortensen is always fun to watch, and especially seeing him before he became a star, but he doesn't get to show up until the halfway point of the film. I couldn't really recommend this movie to most people, but if you want to watch an unsettling drama that unfolds like some kind of cross between The Spirit Of The Beehive and Fright Night, this might be your cup of tea.

7/10

No comments: