Sunday, October 23, 2016

Halloween playlist #28 - The Return Of The Living Dead (1985)

I first watched this movie several years back, and I loved it. So, I decided to make my girlfriend sit through it, and I'm pleased to say it holds up. Really well, in fact. I don't think it would be hyperbolic at all to declare this one of the top 10 greatest zombie movies ever made. And it's not just because of naked Linnea Quigley. If that were all that was required to make a movie great, her entire filmography would be considered top 100 material.

I can't be totally certain of this, but from everything I've read, this is the first to ever use "brains" in a zombie movie. And I mean that by the way the character behave, and for the fact that this is, as far as I'm aware, the first time zombies groan for brains instead of just eating flesh. In Romero's zombie films, they always just eat the flesh of humans, so in spite of the fact that this movie is an off-shoot, it still managed to change the way zombies are seen forever. How cool is that? There's an insane amount of attention to detail in this movie, and the jokes are often very well thought out and clever. It's more fun than it is creepy, which is another thing that this movie helped change about zombie movies. Yeah, it's kind of an underrated classic of the genre, but it seems to have gotten a little bigger of a following over time. Believe me when I say it deserves one.

9/10

No comments: