Saturday, October 21, 2017

200 Items Or Less - X2: X-Men United (2003)

A few thoughts: An incredibly entertaining and significantly less cheap-looking sequel to X-Men, X2 is pretty much a perfect follow-up to the original, as it expands the characters, introduces others cleverly, and really improves on the action sequences. Though I don't find myself quoting this movie as much as the first one (which I mostly do in a mocking way, but still), this movie does have better dialogue, even if the script is weaker overall. I love the addition of Brian Cox as William Striker, one of my favorite actors in a role that is perfectly suited to his calm, menacing demeanor. But even over the great action and Brian Cox's performance, the real highlight of the movie is a scene involving Magneto's escape from his plastic prison. There are a few logic gaps with this movie, but they're never big enough to matter in the long run. We still get plenty of great scenes, less dumb lines of dialogue, better action, more character development, and just overall higher quality entertainment. A fantastic superhero movie that's aged very well.


Who would I recommend it to? Anyone who enjoys superhero movies that actually have characters in them, not *just* shiny effects.

My grade: B

No comments: