Monday, October 30, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Hocus Pocus (1993)

A few thoughts: Do you remember the '90s, when movies were fun? I do, because I was alive during the '90s, and I remember fun movies of the time. This is not one of those movies. In fact, it's an incredibly dumb and desperate movie that spends a majority of its runtime giving the three witches (played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy) nonstop opportunity for mugging. Every scene is just packed with lousy acting and characters making goofy faces at the camera, because isn't it so funny? I laugh, I laugh at funny faces. I didn't care for this movie much when I was younger, and now that I'm older - even with nostalgia on my side - all I see is a pretty weak movie with a generic story, lousy acting, and tons of non-jokes. I enjoy some of the campy effects, and I've always been fond of movies set around Halloween, but apart from these few surface aspects, this is just a poor movie. I'm sure kids could still enjoy it, and people who 'member the '90s, but for the rest of us who enjoy movies for actually being good...nah.


Who would I recommend it to? I wouldn't need to recommend it to anyone. People who know they'd like it have already seen it, and the rest can give it a skip.

My grade: D

No comments: