Tuesday, October 24, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Lifeforce (1985)

A few thoughts: A wacked-out sci-fi/horror/fantasy hybrid from Cannon that has me convinced Tobe Hooper had more to do with the creative and visual direction of 'Poltergeist' than most people will give him credit for. This has been on my to-watch list for a long time now, but now that I've seen it, part of me feels like I'll need to watch it again shortly. What a headtrip! I am a huge fan of practical effects, and this movie has some of the gooeist and weirdest gore, dummies, and makeup I've seen -- which is saying something when you consider just how much weird crap I've watched. As for the movie as a whole, there are more than a few bizarre flaws and bland patches, a framework that allows for plenty of opportunities for crazy visuals and cool moments, but doesn't have a ton of meaningful story or character development of any sort. This is something you watch for the style, not so much for conventional (or narrative) reasons. Was it good or bad? I honestly don't know. But it was definitely special, and something I for sure need to see again.


Who would I recommend it to? People who like cheesy, violent, gory, and bizarre science fiction, horror, or fantasy movies. All the trashiness of Cannon blended with the horror sensibilities of Tobe Hooper.

My grade: C

No comments: