Thursday, October 5, 2017

200 Items Or Less: The Others (2001)

A few thoughts: A horror movie that relies far more on story and atmosphere than on jump-scares or cheap thrills, this one earns my respect as being a drama that functions perfectly well without the need for too much creepiness, but still utilizes its horror elements to full effect. Nicole Kidman delivers her best whisperformance, but to me Fionnula Flanagan is the standout. Between those two performances the movie holds up, but the child acting still isn't the best, so this isn't exactly an amazing ensemble. The sets and attention to period detail are awesome, I love the way it's shot, skillfully maintaining ambiguity throughout through deliberately framed scenes, and the script does a great job at managing the mystery and horror elements along with the dramatic side of the story. This isn't a terrifying movie, but it's a very well-constructed one with incredible production design and an interesting story. Even after at least a dozen viewings, it's still able to get under my skin and impress me with its visual storytelling.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of atmospheric horror and period dramas. It's a lot like 'The Innocents', or 'The Haunting', though not quite on their level.

My grade: B+

No comments: