Thursday, October 12, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Maniac (1934)

A few thoughts: Holy crap, I love the fact that films like this exist. 50 minutes of pure joy and absolute insanity, this is one of those ingeniusly inept and exaggerated movies that is so baffling constructed and ridiculous in every way, it's hard not to laugh. The acting is like if every character were played by Dwight Frye (doing Renfield) and Tod Slaughter, only without any sort of depth. Every few minutes they bring up a wall of text meant to explain various mental illnesses, but with lousy grammar and spelling, and total nonsense science. What instantly threw me off about this movie was how raw it was. Gory, violent, and even features some barenaked boobies, it reached a point where I wouldn't have been surprised had they dropped a few F-bombs. Pre-code movies were so wonderful, weren't they? This movie is a huge pile of dog crap, but oh my was it fun to watch. Totally crazy, and consistently hilarious.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of so-bad-it's-good movies. This is essential over-the-top entertaining garbage horror.

My grade: B

No comments: