Friday, October 13, 2017

200 Items Or Less - Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2008)

A few thoughts: Being a big fan of body horror, practical effects, and creative monster movies, this movie should have been right up my alley...and it was! Watching this movie, I found myself wondering why Robert Englund had so little success outside of the horror genre. With a performance that ranges from mild-mannered and nebbish to violently manic, he nails this role with comedic physicality and remarkable spryness. As for the titular hero, I was also quite impressed. Not only was Trevor Matthews funny and believable, he also had the unlikely heroism and charm of a franchise character -- comparisons to Ash from Evil Dead are almost a given. I loved the effects in this movie, particularly in the finale that showcases a genuinely unique looking creature, and enough blood, goo, and action to make it well worth the wait. But even though all of the monster slaying was done in the last 15 minutes, I never found myself impatient or bored. Funny, creative, and well-paced, this is one of the more underrated horror movies of the 21st century.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of Robert Englund, body horror, and gory action. It's never "scary", but it's always entertaining. Well worth a watch.

My grade: B+

No comments: