Saturday, October 7, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Island Of Terror (1966)

A few thoughts: One of Terence Fisher's later and more unknown films, this is the kind of cheesy sci/fi horror you might expect MST3K to riff on (in fact, they might have), but is plenty enjoyable in its own right. As a movie directed by Fisher and starring Peter Cushing, obviously I was going to watch it eventually, but it was by no means something worth getting terribly excited over. It's pretty simple, centered around a science experiment gone wrong, resulting in a bunch of gooey slug monsters that eat the bones right out of bodies and duplicate every few hours. The creature designs are goofy, but kind of cool, as they're unlike most other movie monsters of the time. If I were to compare it to anything, it would probably be 'The Blob', but a little weirder and sillier. I like how once the characters figure out what's going on, they behave rationally and plan things out like you might expect. It's a little detail, but an important one to make the situation more believable. Nothing mindblowing here, but I enjoyed myself.


Who would I recommend it to? Terence Fisher/Peter Cushing completists. It's a curious sci/fi horror movie, but certainly not essential viewing.

My grade: C

No comments: