Monday, October 2, 2017

200 Items Or Less: The Howling (1981)

A few thoughts: I've seen this movie twice now and I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to fully pay attention to it, as it has some terrible pacing issues that practically force me to not focus on it while it's playing. I normally enjoy Joe Dante movies, I love me some werewolves, and the cast is filled with actors I like (John Carradine, Kevin McCarthy, Robert Picardo), but something about this movis is just difficult to me to get invested in. The sets and way it's all shot makes it feel a lot more childish and silly than I think is best for it, and the main character is very unlikable and dull. There are some fun little jokes and bits of irony, but the script is mostly pretty blah, never utilizing these actors to their fullest potential. The werewolf transformations are cool in a goofy sort of way, and you can tell they had a lot of fun with that part of the production, but there are much more effective werewolf movies, both comedically and from a technical perspective... Oh, hi John Landis.


Who would I recommend it to? Joe Dante fans, or people who enjoy werewolf movies in general. I don't love it, but it has its appeals.

My grade: C-

No comments: