Sunday, February 26, 2017

200 Items Or Less: The Beyond (1981)

A few thoughts: I've never seen a Fulci movie that I really loved. I was holding out hope that this would be the one to break that, but I suppose it was unfair of me to expect so much. As it stands, this is still an enjoyable zombie movie with fun gore effects and one particular scene involving spiders that's very difficult to watch -- even to those who aren't terrified of spiders. There are some cool visuals and the standard Italian horror music ties everything together well. The acting is as stiff and poorly directed as you could expect from an Italian horror movie (try naming one that actually has good acting from all involved), but this isn't the kind of movie you watch for the Oscar-worthy performances. It's basically stylized schlock --and Fulci is a veritable schlockmeister. This is more clever than a majority of Romero zombie clones, but it's never creepy enough to stand up to the levels of actual Romero. I can't say it was great, but I enjoyed it.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of Italian horror and zombies should definitely check this one out.

My grade: C

No comments: