Wednesday, December 13, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Vampire's Kiss (1988)

A few thoughts: One of the most bizarrely entertaining movies of the 1980s, 'Vampire's Kiss' walks that fine line between intentional and unintentional humor, flips off that line, calls it some filthy names, and then pees all over it. My point is, by the time it's done, you won't be sure what was intended at any point throughout the entire film, but you'll almost certainly never be able to forget it. I like to try my hardest to get in the mindset of the director, writer, producers, or virtually anyone else involved in making this film, but I have the distinct feeling I'd have to experiment with cocaine in order to achieve the desired enlightenment, and that's just too expensive and dangerous for 'lil old me. To adequately sum this movie up, I'll have to reference an episode of the TV series 'Community' that poses the question: "is Nicolas Cage good or evil?" The answer to this question sadly cannot be found here, but this performance is a prime example of how a question like that could be asked of an actor's entire career. Prepare for an unforgettable, hilarious experience.


Who would I recommend it to? Anyone who loves Nic Cage acting totally bonkers. This is my favorite performance by him, by a fairly significant margin.

My grade: A-

No comments: