Sunday, December 17, 2017

200 Items Or Less: The Exorcist (1973)

A few thoughts: It feels pretty pointless for me to even bother writing about this movie, but just in case there were lingering thoughts that my opinion might have strayed from the norm on this one, well, I'm here to tell you that they don't. I consider this not only one of the most effective horror films of all-time, but one of the most impressively constructed, well-acted, and truly disturbing movies ever made. Filled with subliminal messages and imagery, this movie has the reputation of being one of the most extreme horror films of its time (which it is), but is actually surprisingly slow-paced, letting that wonderful dread seep into your pores before freezing you out. Some of the scary scenes catch you off-guard with their abruptness, but the movie never over plays that. It's shocking, beautifully-shot (which is weird to say about a movie so grotesque), and gives Max Von Sydow one of his greatest and most memorable roles. And Linda Blair. And Ellen Burstyn. And Jason Miller. My god, this movie is fantastic.


Who would I recommend it to? Any horror fan worth their salt has seen it already. It's not the most graphic movie out there anymore, but it still holds up. The greatest horror movie of all-time.

My grade: A

No comments: