Wednesday, December 20, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Slither (2006)

A few thoughts: A kind-of knock-off of the 1986 horror-comedy 'Night Of The Creeps', this is a CG and practical effects-ridden body horror alien insect zombie movie that delivers gore and comedy in satisfying quantities. Filled with funny and talented actors (most notably Michael Rooker, Nathan Fillion, and Elizabeth Banks), this James Gunn-directed bit of mayhem only suffers from a little too much CG, even if the practical effects make up for that particular flaw. This is more of a horror movie than it is a comedy, which is a good thing, as the humor comes in very small doses -- even if it is funny, it's spread out too much to be a total comedy. I've seen it about 3 or 4 times at this point, and while I used to enjoy it a ton, I have to admit I've grown a little cold on it over the past several years since I first saw it. It isn't super original, but that doesn't matter a lot to me. The execution is mostly on point, and there are a lot of great moments and funny lines. It also has a very weirdly satisfying ending that's somewhat unexpected. Icky fun.


Who would I recommend it to? People who like body horror, zombies, or just horror comedy that isn't afraid to get gross.

My grade: B-

No comments: