Thursday, December 28, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Kill Baby Kill (1966)

A few thoughts: One of many beautifully shot and lit Mario Bava films that doesn't seem to put a whole ton of emphasis on things like pacing. While it's great to look at, after the midway point I found myself fading away, not terribly interested in the outcome, just waiting for the ending to come along so I could say I finished it. That being said, in spite of my own misgivings and a few issues with pacing in the middle of the film, it does come to a satisfying conclusion, so I don't want people reading this to walk away thinking I disliked it by any means. Quite the contrary, it's a fun, atmospheric, and (again, I really want to emphasize this) really awesome looking in a lot of ways. The only "flaw" with the cinematography is the weirdly overused zooms that seemed to be thrown in a lot of the time just for the hell of it. As far as Bava films go, this isn't right at the top of the list for me, but it was still pretty solid and not totally devoid of any non-superficial traits. It's very much what I have come to expect from Italian horror.


Who would I recommend it to? People who like Italian horror, Bava, or just films with really interesting lighting and cinematography.

My grade: C+

No comments: