Sunday, December 31, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Pumpkinhead (1988)

A few thoughts: When I first watched this movie last year I didn't think I would feel like watching it again anytime soon. I seem to remember even writing that. But as Halloween approached yet again I found myself thinking back on how much I loved how this movie captured a particular mood that I associate with the holiday. At times it feels like an outdoor haunted attraction, but with the crazy awesome lighting and cinematography, and the badass creature design (which I'm still bummed about not looking at all like a pumpkin but still has great effects), I'm willing to forgive it for not being the most genuinely terrifying movie out there. I love how the daylight scenes look so warm and comfortable, but as night approaches and Lance Henriksen's (strong performance, by the way) story takes a darker turn, the colors begin to sharpen and take away all that warmth. It's a well-paced movie that establishes its characters, their motivation, and gives the monster just the right amount of time on-screen. I wasn't a big fan of it at first, but I can see myself putting this one on fairly regularly when the fall season comes by.


Who would I recommend it to? People who like A) monster movies with practical effects, B) tons of atmosphere, and C) care about great visuals.

My grade: B

No comments: