Sunday, December 24, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Puppet Master (1989)

A few thoughts: A lightweight slasher/horror in the vein of 'Leprechaun' that came out during that awkward time when slasher movies stopped being scary at all and started to get really dumb and (often) more intentionally silly. Now, this is definitely the kind of movie I might expect a small child to find terrifying, but as an adult I can't see anything to be scared of here. And yet again, that R-rating makes it hard to gauge just who this movie is trying to appeal to. It pretty much sums up Full Moon as a production company, relying on lame effects, corny visuals, and a really dorky premise to get by. A good deal of this movie makes little to no sense at all, the story tries to offer up twists, but they're pretty much pointless. The only real appeal here comes in the form of the puppets (stop motion!), and watching some of the ridiculous and creative death scenes. The acting is weak and there's nothing particularly special about the visuals, but I enjoy the music and the light atmosphere. It's a pretty harmless, ineffective horror film that's frothy enough to sit down to anytime without it bothering you.


Who would I recommend it to? I'm not entirely sure if I would recommend this. It's not bad enough to be funny or good enough to warrant a recommendation.

My grade: D+

No comments: