Thursday, April 26, 2018

Top 50 Favorite Movies, Part 8 (#15-11)


When last we met, I talked about a thrilling music drama, a ridiculous stuntman comedy, a dystopian comedy about paperwork, a futuristic action satire, and one of the greatest sci-fi/horror homages around. Now let's look at the next five.




15. Almost Famous, 2000
dir. Cameron Crowe
Drama/Comedy


I approach 90% of all coming-of-age movies with caution, as I generally don't find the generic uplifting parental and romantic drama to be even remotely engaging or original, but this movie has stuck with me and continues to be one of my favorites in spite of just how much like those others it really is. Patrick Fugit isn't a very good actor, but that really doesn't matter much here. Filled with wonderful little moments and scenes (the Tiny Dancer scene is one of my favorites in any movie ever), this isn't the kind of film I need to diagnose and dissect. It simply makes me feel good. Like a warm blanket, it wraps me up every time, giving me the full experience of transporting back into the '70s where you get to feel like part of the band. It's a lovely movie that puts me through all sorts of emotions and leaves me happy.




14. Her, 2013
dir. Spike Jonze
Drama/Comedy/Sci-Fi


And now for a serious emotional roller coaster. This is one of the most emotionally raw movies I've ever seen, and it does this while not shying at all away from topics that most people might not want to really consider or pay attention to. It's also a pretty decent comedy, full of satirical elements and in-your-face jokes that are sometimes so shocking and abrupt, you don't really know how to react but to laugh. But the main thing at play here is the interactions between Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson, who give 2 of the best performances of the decade. A believable not-too-distant future makes the backdrop to a romantic relationship that's equally as fitting to the setting as it is to dismiss as creepy and weird. This is a movie unafraid to push some boundaries and cut a little deeper than most people might be comfortable with. It doesn't make me feel comfortable, but I do love it.




13. The Return Of The Living Dead, 1985
dir. Dan O'Bannon
Horror/Comedy


A pseudo-sequel to Night Of The Living Dead (set in a universe where the events of the film, as well as the film itself, actually exist), this is silently one of the most influential zombie movies ever made. The first example of a movie where zombies crave brains instead of just flesh, this movie does a great job at blending humor and simple pleasures into the story, and the effects and makeup are some of the best I've ever seen for the genre. There are tons of hidden jokes in the background of this movie, and it's not a surprise at all considering how strong of a writer Dan O'Bannon was. This is one of only a few movies he ever directed, but you'd never be able to tell. If you're a fan of zombie movies, this is an impossible one to look past. It's hilarious, gory, and among the most clever zombie films ever made in more than one way.




12. Forbidden Planet, 1956
dir. Fred M. Wilcox
Sci-Fi/Adventure


Star Trek is one of my favorite things, and this movie that helped inspire it a lot. So, that must mean I love it, right? Well, I actually loved it before I ever got into Trek, but the similarities are there. This isn't some cheesy '50s sci-fi creature feature, this is a big budget adventure movie with amazing sets, props, and visuals that are still impressive to look at today. The acting is a bit stiff, but the spectacle and immersive setting more than make up for this -- as well as the high-minded ideas that could have easily kickstarted an entire series of movies. This was a huge movie that took major risks and told a great story that helped inspire the best science fiction franchise ever. Even without my personal love for it, it would still deserve tons of praise. I love the mystery of the creature, the robot, the spaceship...just all of it.




11. Jason And The Argonauts, 1963
dir. Don Chaffey
Adventure/Fantasy


Much like the last movie, this is one of those spectacles that is a total joy to watch even if just for the sheer scope and high aspirations of the film's visuals alone. While officially directed by Chaffey, Ray Harryhausen is the real star of the show here, as he single-handedly animated and directed the entirety of the stop-motion sequences, of which there are plenty. Pair this with some beautiful and crisp visuals and sets and you've got yourself one of the most amazing looking movies of the 1960s, and among my favorites ever. Even people who don't care much for Greek mythology (all 3 of them) should find something to love about this, be it the famous skeleton sword fighting scene, the vulturous harpies, or the moment Talos comes to life. As a huge fan of stop-motion, I love it -- and as a fan of the magic of movies in general, I love it even more.




No comments: