Sunday, April 15, 2018

200 Items Or Less: The Witches (1966)

A few thoughts: I will usually defend mediocre Hammer productions because there's often some really great aspects to their films. The sets, acting, or overall tone and style generally make up for the ho-hum writing and lack of thrills. But this is a movie I just can't defend. The acting is either dull or over-the-top, the story is bland, and by the time the ridiculous final act comes along I was so disinterested, not even the overt stupidity and exaggerated acting was enough to draw me back in. It went from painfully dull to just plain painful, and in a very short period of time. I didn't have terribly high hopes going in, but with Joan Fontaine in it, I assumed there might be some decent acting in the very least. Nope. Since it's Hammer, I expected there would be some really cool visuals. Nope. Since it's a movie about witchcraft I thought maybe there would be some creative effects or ideas. Nope. This is a bore for about 70 minutes, followed by 20 minutes of stupid. It didn't totally offend my senses, but I can't see myself watching it again willingly.


Who would I recommend it to? I wouldn't. Maybe the most die hard Hammer fanatics will like it, but I'm a pretty big fan myself and thought it sucked, so...you've been warned.

My grade: D-

No comments: