Sunday, April 22, 2018

200 Items Or Less: All The Colors Of The Dark (1972)

A few thoughts: It's come to my attention that while I'm relatively indifferent towards most Giallos (Italian slasher/crime movies, essentially), Italian horror is still definitely in my wheelhouse. Man, what a trip this movie was. Usually when I'm watching movies about people going insane, there's never any question to me if the things happening are real or not, but this one had me seriously questioning myself every 5 minutes until it was finally over. Thanks to some funky edits, tons of crazy and violent moments that seemed to reset only moments later, a genuinely frazzled lead character, and a plot about a bunch of cultists invading her dreams and trying to recruit her, there was never a dull moment, nor a single scene that went by without me being forced to second-guess myself every time I felt I had put all the pieces together. It's challenging, visually bizarre (even by Italian horror standards), and packed full of cool twists and unsettling scenes that leave you feeling very uncomfortable. I really liked this one, in a very specific sort of way.


Who would I recommend it to? Only people who have seen things like 'Suspiria', 'Lisa And The Devil', and 'The Beyond' and haven't found themselves too weirded out by the style to enjoy them. This is trippier than most Italian horror.

My grade: B

No comments: