Saturday, April 7, 2018

200 Items Or Less: The Crow (1994)

A few thoughts: It's really hard to separate this movie from two different things. One, the famous untimely death of its star Brandon Lee during filming, and two, the (unintentional) impact it's had on emo/goth teens over the past 20 years. Neither of these are enough to make this film very interesting. I really enjoy Alex Proyas' 'Dark City', but feel like this was little more than a jumping off point for him as a director, as it never feels totally realized. It's corny, lame, full of awful one-liners, bizarre uses of its gothy soundtrack, and honestly not cool looking or exciting enough to make it even feel it's worth watching. I would say "maybe I'd like it better if I was a teen", but when I watched it years back I still thought it kinda sucked. The screenplay lacks depth, the plot is basically I Spit On Your Grave but with slightly less rape, and I am still of the opinion that Brandon Lee was a poor actor and not even close to charming enough to have ever been a real star. I didn't like it, but it seems to have a huge cult following in spite of being pretty bad.


Who would I recommend it to? "Edgy" 14 year olds. But I don't know any of those, so no one.

My grade: D

No comments: