Saturday, January 6, 2018

200 Items Or Less - Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)

A few thoughts: Well, this is not the first time I've watched this movie, and odds are it won't be my last. That isn't necessarily a compliment, because I still honestly don't know how I feel about it. It's grueling, ugly, violent, uncomfortable, and totally unique. It feels sort of like a twisted superhero orgy 'Eraserhead' as filmed by Jan Svankmajer. I enjoy the hyper-stylized stop-motion and fast-paced editing, as well as the gruesome body horror elements that really make your skin crawl. From a technical perspective, this movie is obviously very low budget and rough, but it's incredibly impressive how this whole thing was cobbled together. For just a micro-budgeted cyberpunk body horror movie that runs only 67 minutes, there is an awful lot of content packed in here. Sadly, story isn't really one of the things this movie has going for it. It's a unique and metallic body horror movie with awesome visuals, crazy effects, and a whole ton of WTF-ery. Maybe it's a great movie, I'm not sure yet, but it does for sure leave an impact.


Who would I recommend it to? People who enjoy crazy body horror and like seeing things that are totally original.

My grade: C+

No comments: