Thursday, January 4, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Body Melt (1993)

A few thoughts: The '90s essentially marked the temporary death of the body horror genre, so it's nice to me to find movies made during that decade that weren't afraid to show off some '80s-style gore and goofiness. Sort of like an equally gooey blend of Larry Cohen's 'The Stuff' and the 1987 'Street Trash', this movie didn't offer up an entirely original experience, but still managed to be fun to watch just because of those crazy cheap effects. I can't really say I noticed the plot much, it was about people and this pill and whatever spy stuff was going on, but that's sort of not the point. Again, this is a movie you watch for the effects or you just don't watch it at all. It's one of those splatstick (a subgenre blend of gory, over-the-top horror and slapstick style comedy) movies that only .01% of the population would even "get", and while I can't say I love it, I would classify myself as part of that minority. It's an ugly, gross and somewhat listless movie, but it has fun visuals and was done on low enough of a budget for it to be impressive in its own way.


Who would I recommend it to? People who enjoy grotesque and creatively goofy body horror.

My grade: C-

No comments: