Wednesday, January 24, 2018

200 Items Or Less - A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)

A few thoughts: Five films into this series and I still enjoy them all. Granted, this movie does have its fair share of problems, but between the wonderful gothic set design, and the continued creativity of this kill scenes, I have to say I would still consider this a solid entry. Yes, the increasingly ludicrous treatment of Freddy does reach critical mass by film 6, I still don't find him too silly to be enjoyed here. The story is a bit of a catastrophe, but the resurrection of Freddy and further looks into his past make for solid character work, and give the film plenty of opportunity to get crazy with the visuals -- which as I briefly touched upon earlier, are pretty fantastic here. Though less clever and understated here, the dream sequences are amplified by high production value and great lighting, giving these scenes a completely different feel from the original. And that's just fine. The series evolved, giving each entry a chance to add to the story in different ways. This is by no means a masterpiece, but I still had plenty of fun.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of Dream Warriors and The Dream Master might like it, though I do admit I'm probably a lot more generous towards it than most.

My grade: C+

No comments: