Friday, January 19, 2018

200 Items Or Less - A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

A few thoughts: One of the most weirdly underrated horror sequels I've ever seen, this first sequel to A Nightmare On Elm Street may break some of the rules of the franchise, but the creative direction it takes are more than intriguing enough to pardon it of these issues. While Freddy is still very much full of humor, this was one of the only movies where he fully works as a horror villain and not just a clown. Granted, I like him being somewhat clownish, but I do have my limits. Anyway, this movie is full of weird and hilarious scenes, TONS of (possibly) unintentional yet overt homosexuality, and some gruesome and totally awesome body horror aspects. There's a certain level of creepiness to this film, and the heroic lead performance by Mark Patton is almost shockingly good, rivalling even Robert Englund as the best performance in the series. Nah, who am I kidding? Englund owns this series. Still, this is one of my favorite movies in the series, and I feel it's massively underrated and pretty awesome in a lot of ways. It may be flawed, but its flaws work.


Who would I recommend it to? People who don't take the series too seriously and can appreciate some great acting and awesome body horror effects.

My grade: B

No comments: