Sunday, November 12, 2017

Five Favorite Films of 1950

I'm not gonna make a huge production of these, I just like making little lists and putting them on my site. Keep in mind these are my personal favorites, so don't get all crabby if you don't like my choices. Although honestly, I can't see many complaints about this top 5... Pretty standard stuff. Eeeenjoy.


5. El Hombre Sin Rostro

A trippy and atmospheric Mexican horror mystery about a faceless killer and the man who must stop him. This is a pretty awesome looking film that probably wouldn't have made my list were it not for the look of it. Oh, who am I kidding? This would've been on here regardless. It's a pretty weird one, but definitely worth checking out -- assuming you can get ahold of it.


4. All About Eve

One of the most acclaimed films of all-time, this ensemble drama (with a comedic edge) doesn't really need to be explained. It's got one of the best casts ever, biting dialogue, and a whole ton of wonderful bitterness and passive-aggression. Not entirely pleasant, but still a joy to watch.


3. Sunset Boulevard

An aging silent film star finds companionship in a drifter who feeds her delusions in exchange for material comforts. Giving any movie the title "Billy Wilder's best" is really hard to do, but this just might be the one that deserves it. Incredible performances, great execution, and really compellingly dark and original.


2. Orpheus

The tale of Orpheus, in all its mystical glory. One of the greatest fantasy films ever made, this Jean Cocteau movie has some of the most incredible visuals I've ever seen, utilizing wild methods to create the effects you see on-screen. It's breathtakingly gorgeous, and to avoid sounding like a totally pretentious tool, it's just a ton of fun to sit back and look at. I love movies that are worth watching just to behold --especially while still being damn good at telling a story.


1. Rashomon

A bandit, a samurai, his wife, and a woodcutter tell their versions of the events leading up to the samurai's murder. I don't usually call this one of my very favorite movies, but when asked the question "what is the most perfect film ever?" this is the answer that I give. A wonderful study in storytelling, perspective, and preservation of one's reputation and honor by any means necessary, Akira Kurosawa doesn't make a single misstep. Everything about this movie is simply perfect, and I love it.


Honorable mentions:
- Father Of The Bride
- Harvey
- In A Lonely Place
- Los Olvidados

No comments: