Saturday, November 25, 2017

200 Items Or Less: The Mangler (1995)

A few thoughts: Wow, what a surprise. I bought this for a few bucks because I wanted to see some more Robert Englund movies fully expecting it to be pretty lousy (as most critics call it) but, well, I really enjoyed this. Everything about the whole visual style is terrific, from the crazy lighting and cinematography to the grubby setting. It's a weird combination, having the movie look so pretty and so ugly at the same time. As for the story, well, you can definitely tell it's based on a Stephen King short. It is pretty ridiculous, but not letting the giant washing machine(!!!) be the only villain was a good choice, as it gave plenty of opportunity for Englund to evil it up. He's such a cartoonist villain, it's impossible not to enjoy him. Ted Levine is solid as the lead, a character who very much feels lived in and imperfect. It works out really well. Maybe it's not a mindblowing horror movie, but it's one of my more favorite Hooper films, and the sense of humor really sells it during the less gory moments.


Who would I recommend it to? I'm not sure how to recommend this one, as most people seem to hate it. But if you enjoy slightly corny horror movies with a haunted attraction vibe, you might want to give it a try.

My grade: B-

No comments: