Sunday, November 12, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Castle Freak (1995)

A few thoughts: A slightly forgotten Stuart Gordon film about a family moving into a castle in Italy where strange goings-on go on, and it's up to Jeffrey Combs and a blind girl to get to the bottom of it. From the first half, it seemed like a fairly standard movie, but after the story really took off and layers were revealed of the family dynamic and their past, I found myself fmuch more invested than I had originally presumed. As is redundantly the case in virtually every movie he appears in, Combs does a great job in the lead, a character who at first seems level-headed, and slowly but surely is driven bonkers by the situation and the fact that no one will believe him. It's the kind of "someone is in here but when I look they disappear" movie that could have become very irritating, but instead it's just weirdly amusing. The overall quality of the production is pretty poor, but it's a B movie, so what could you expect? It isn't particularly scary or creepy, but it's entertaining and surprisingly solid dramatically.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of Stuart Gordon and/or Jeffrey Combs should give it a try. To everyone else, I'd try their better movies first, like 'Re-Animator' or 'From Beyond'.

My grade: C-

No comments: