Tuesday, November 7, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Ghosts Of Mars (2001)

A few thoughts: I generally consider John Carpenter a really great filmmaker. If I were to sit down a week ago and make a list of my favorite directors, he might land in the top 10. But after watching this, I have begun to doubt just how great he actually is. Sitting through this mess of a movie, it felt like watching something by the most amateurish filmmaker imaginable. It was like he'd never seen a movie before, let alone made so many great ones. I don't get what happened. Even with schlock like 'Escape From L.A.' there were moments of genius, but here everything went right out the window. The editing, music, writing, and - yes - direction were all so poor, nothing felt like a match. I would say it was like a glued together mess, but it didn't even feel glued together, since it all came unraveled with no real resolution or point. I just finished it and I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was about, what happened, or anything about any of the characters. It was bland, but in an aggressive way. Seriously, what the hell was this?


Who would I recommend it to? I don't know if I could recommend this. If you must, go ahead, but don't blame me for it.

My grade: F

No comments: