Thursday, November 23, 2017

200 Items Or Less: A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

A few thoughts: I've already written about the first 6 of these movies (in a manner), and it should go without saying that I really, really like it, but here's the obligatory write-up anyway. In spite of the fact that I wasn't a huge fan of this movie the first time I saw it, over time I have come to appreciate the crap out of it and find it consistently enjoyable to watch. Robert Englund started out in this series mostly serious, which sort of works here since the tone was considerably less over-the-top and funny as it was later on, but he's so iconic and perfect for the role, I can't see anyone complaining. A lot of the effects still look pretty great, and the ones that don't hold up are still fun to look at. There's a whole heap of atmosphere (love the lighting!), the music is great, and a perfect blend of fantasy and horror elements that really helped define the genre. I wouldn't call this a perfect movie, but it's one I always enjoy and find myself coming back to again and again. It's worth it even if just for the blood gushing from the bed scene. Classic.


Who would I recommend it to? Anyone who has any interest in '80s horror and/or slashers as a whole. This is one of the greatest of its kind.

My grade: A-

No comments: