Wednesday, July 26, 2017

200 Items Or Less: The Time Machine (1960)

A few thoughts: As an overall production, this just might be the most impressive sci/fi adventure movie of its time. While the acting and some plot elements are a bit underwhelming at times, the music, visual effects, makeup/prosthetics, and set designs are all so tremendous (though at times occasionally silly, particularly one painted background in a cave) they more than make up for the lack of strong performances and other thematic elements. The time travel sequences are a particular standout, utilizing fast-paced stop motion (which I always love), but probably my favorite aspect to this movie is how great the Morlocks looked. With their glowing eyes, blue skin, and white hair, they stand out as pretty cool and creepy, and make for great villains. While this movie could have definitely improved on the narrative and tackled emotional isolation as a subject, I can't say I expected any of that; and the visuals were so great, none of that even mattered.


Who would I recommend it to? People who love classic sci/fi and old school adventure movies.

My grade: B

No comments: