Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Jeff's Top 15 Most Hated Movies of the 2010s

There were so many genuinely awful movies that came out this last decade, and a lot that I skipped out on just because I knew beforehand that there was nothing I could get out of them. So right off the bat, there are going to be some issues people will have with this list. There are quite a few popular movies here, and I'm sure most people will look at what I have and go "BLEH SNORT YOU HAVE [blank] BUT NOT [blank]?!? WHAT, WERE YOU DROPPED ON YOUR HEAD!?!?" or whatever dumbass crap people say when they can't accept someone else's opinion, so I'm going to put in bold and gigantic font a FEW SENTIMENTS that I think needs to be read and accepted before going forward.


1. I HAVEN'T SEEN EVERY BAD MOVIE OF THE LAST 10 YEARS.

2. THIS IS AN OPINION-BASED LIST.

3. THIS ISN'T A "WORST MOVIES" LIST, IT'S A LIST OF MOVIES I HATED FOR VARIOUS REASONS.


Now that I'm done condescending to you, this is the list I have prepared for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy the vitriol.


15-
Avengers: Endgame



The thrilling conclusion to the decade-long 20-film franchise that has now passed Avatar as the highest grossing film ever made, still sitting in the IMDB top 250 at about 70th greatest film ever made, with an insanely high 90+% Rotten Tomatoes rating, and considered by some to be the greatest movie ever made. Not only is this one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen, but it pales in comparison to Infinity War, an actually good movie that ended on a note that wasn't totally obvious and predictable. Over the course of this movie, they manage to cheapen the entire franchise by introducing manipulatable time travel, killing off certain characters and bringing back others seemingly at random, without ever considering the fact that they could save everyone with ease. In spite of at least half the lives in the universe hanging in the balance, the stakes never feel real, and any sense of tension left over from the previous film instantly withers away thanks to the use of time travel and deus ex Captain Marvel. I don't think this is a good movie, people need to stop giving Disney all of their money for pumping out trash, it was a disappointing conclusion to a series of movies I didn't even really like that much in the first place, and I like it less and less over time.


14-
I Spit On Your Grave



There are few things in movies I hate more than remakes, but what makes a remake truly awful to me is when they not only do the same thing as the original, but do it worse. A lot of other movies are guilty of this, as this seems to be the decade most guilty of mainstream unoriginality, but this is an even-worse remake of a movie that I already loathed. This is a trashy, disgusting movie that spends so much time on brutal rape and torture scenes, by the time the second act rolls around, you're already too exhausted and repulsed to want to keep watching. I could barely get through it, and you might say that's what makes it good, but I don't exactly see this as a good time. It's disgusting and unoriginal. A perfect storm of sleaze.


13-
Suicide Squad



I'm so over superhero movies. I've been saying that since before the MCU even started, and I've watched at least 40-50 more new ones in the years since then. It's exhausting, but with the polish of the MCU they're at least usually cohesive. The Disney machine knows how to pump out likable movies, and while I find them personally annoying and cheap, I can at least appreciate that they generally tell a story and have structure. There's a sense of humor in them, the characters generally have some decent motivation, things aren't just thrown at you in a seemingly random order, with 40 different popular songs blaring every 5 minutes. Everything I just said does not apply to Suicide Squad, a messy-ass movie that seems to have multiple personality disorder, and appears to be a studio hatchet job that I can't even fully blame the director for. But David Ayer still did a bad job directing his actors. It's a big ugly mess, and I can only defend the make-up on Killer Croc. That Oscar win was at least earned.


12-
Hidden Figures



Oscar bait is everywhere, and at a time when cultural diversity, inclusiveness, and representation is at the forefront as much as it is, it only makes sense for bland racial dramas to be seen in an even more "essential" light. I don't really care about all that, as insensitive as that sounds, because ultimately I want movies that tell stories, have interesting characters, and don't approach every scene or bump along the way as an opportunity to preach a message to you or fit perfectly into a movie trailer. This entire movie, including the scenes that are blurry and out of focus, is made up of movie trailer clips, with characters speaking in cliches as Octavia Spencer sits in the background making that frogface and being sarcastic ad nauseam. I don't see how this kind of generic crap is uplifting to anyone, but if it's what you need to feel better, fine. You can have it, because I want something with a little more bite, not just yet another white guilt drama pumped out by an all-white studio who love patting themselves on their backs for being woke and earning awards and tons of money off of it.


11-
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story



I wrote quite a lengthy review of this after watching it in theaters 3.5 years back, and over time my anger and general disgust with the sleazy use of Peter Cushing's image has not died down one bit. But I've talked about this a lot, and I've made clear my issues with the "plot" of the movie being not only unnecessary within the Star Wars universe as a whole, but idiotic when you consider how easy it would have been for it to be avoided entirely, but I won't keep going on about it. Just find my review if you want to hear me whine about it there. In fact, here is my Rogue One review.


10-
Jack And Jill



Just because I don't usually watch all the bad movies doesn't mean a really terrible one doesn't slip through due to my morbid curiosity and frequent past drunkenness. Yeah, I got this FOR FREE at the library (it was important for me to make clear that I didn't give them money for this) one time because I thought it would be funny to get drunk and watch, but I was wrong. And I laugh at everything when I'm drunk. No, this is just as bad as everything you've ever heard about it, and when you take into consideration the sleaziness of the behind-the-scenes stuff that went into the funding of this movie, it makes it even more gross. RedLetterMedia did an entertaining and insightful review on it if anyone is interested, but suffice it to say, this was an awful movie in every way. It's not funny, it's lazy, and it's got literal commercials in it. Buy Dunkin Donuts, everybody, Al Pacino told you to.


9-
Spider-Man: Far From Home



ME HATE SUPERHERO MOVIES! ME SMASH THEM! My own vendetta aside, the issues I have with this movie come down to more fundamental, reprehensible levels. It's a desperate movie that thinks it's far smarter than it is, it features wacky scenes of Peter Parker acting like a jealous semi-murderous psycho (played for laughs, of course), has a 10 minute scene where the obvious villain explains in excruciating detail what his villainous plan was, and offers no serious follow-up to the emotional damage and impact of the events surrounding Infinity War/Endgame. It's a key-dangling diversion of a movie that I found offensive to my intelligence. I'm by no means some kind of genius, but feeling like I'm being talked down to by a movie this stupid is just annoying to me. Also, they wasted Jake Gyllenhaal, which is a huge issue.


8-
Deadpool 2



I promise this is the last superhero movie on the list, but I just couldn't help but to include one of the most unfunny and obnoxiously desperate comedies I've seen in the past 10 years. As insultingly dumb as something like Vampires Suck is, I don't hear people defending those. But the similarities between Deadpool's childish sense of humor and that of Friedberg/Seltzer is disturbingly similar when you think about it. Full of references that are just thrown in at an improv level of forethought, the first movie was unexpected in some of its jokes, going that extra step to shock and throw you off with the punchlines. It wasn't something people were used to seeing in a superhero movie, but this movie plays it safe while still trying to act edgy. It's the movie equivalent of a little kid saying "fuck" a lot because they did once and people laughed at it, but now it's becoming a bit of a concern and it's just not funny anymore. Ryan Reynolds is that little kid.


7-
The Neon Demon



I have an affinity for weird movies that rely heavily on visuals and symbolism. I also have a certain fondness for Nicholas Winding Refn, who has directed a handful of movies I have genuinely enjoyed over the years. But this mess of a movie, something so drenched in artsy nonsense that it doesn't even pretend to tell a real story, is so laced with pretense that you would think it was full of symbolism far deeper than it really is. This is an alarmingly straight-forward film for all its bluster and self-importance, basically just telling the "[blank] industry chews you up and spits you out" story that's been done to death over the years. Starry Eyes, a much superior horror film (one that's also, actually, like, creepy) did it about 2 years before, just as an example. This movie singlehandedly made me not care for Refn as a director anymore, it's that bad.


6-
American Honey



I don't like watching movies full of unlikable characters - that is unless they're really funny (the show It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia had been a favorite of mine for years) - but I especially dislike watching movies full of unlikable characters that you're supposed to actually like? This is a 3-hour long epic akin to being trapped in a bus with a bunch of dickheads who want to pull over every 5 minutes to pee on turtles on the side of the road and complain about their parents. The characters are sleazy, there was nothing exceptional about the story or filmmaking, and by the time it was over I felt like I had blown a whole week on it. I have no interest in going back to see if I was wrong about this movie, as I still see it as nothing more than verification that I really just hate people and their shitty, selfish, abhorrent behavior.


5-
The Haunting Of Sharon Tate



Sort of like the evil twin of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, The Haunting Of Sharon Tate's glue-on mirror universe goatee would probably be the most convincing aspect of it (assuming they had enough glue left over from all the huffing), as this is not only an insulting piece of trash, but a poorly made one in every conceivable way. If people found OUATIH insulting to Sharon Tate's memory, friends, and family, then they shouldn't even be allowed to watch this, as it is one million times worse. It's also just really bad in every technical way. The script makes no sense, the performances are annoying - Hilary Duff goes through about 12 different accents here, sometimes mid-sentence - and the audio-visual aspects are so shaky and inconsistent, it often feels like every different accent Duff used was from entirely separate movies that were just stitched together because they needed to pad out the running time enough to legally call it a movie. I would call it tasteless, but to call something that would imply it didn't leave you with a nasty taste in your mouth.


4-
The Little Hours



I'm going to use an excerpt from something my wife wrote about this movie a couple years back that I still feel sums up the issues with this movie:

The film relies too much on the "ha ha it's funny because they're swearing nuns" instead of making actual jokes. I'm not really sure what they were going for with this. It has the "shocking" elements that you would see in something like The Devils, however it fails in the fact their nuns don't feel like nuns. Instead it just comes across as regular people playing dress up.

So yeah, what she said. People in nun costumes say "fuck" a lot. Hilarious. Did Ryan Reynolds write this movie?


3-
Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close



People complained about the Robert Pattinson romance/drama Remember Me quite a lot when it came out, as it used 9/11 as a plot twist near the end (sorry to anyone who's been sitting for a decade now waiting to watch this mediocre movie), but I didn't hate it. It wasn't great, but it wasn't so awful. Especially not when compared to this, which I have managed to sit through twice now, and now consider probably the worst ever movie to be nominated for the Oscar for Best Picture. The lead character is possibly the most obnoxious in the history of film, the story is desperate and melodramatic, and the only thing about it that kept me from shutting it off was how much I love Max Von Sydow. It's annoying, pandering, cheap, and worthless. I don't know how anyone could say this wasn't total garbage, but apparently some people thought it was one of the best movies of 2011 -- which was a great year for movies, by the way. But I don't want people thinking I only hate it because it got some awards recognition, because it's just genuinely awful.


2-
Cats



I just watched it a week or two ago, and I already consider it one of the worst things I've ever seen. I want to scrub it from my memory. We thought it would be funny how bad it was. It wasn't funny. It was miserable. Everything about this movie is a massive diarrhea fart. I don't even need to explain what makes it so terrible, because the answer is everything about it. It's almost literally painful to watch.


1-
Thankskilling 3



I wrote a now-missing review for this movie almost 6 years back, at which point I declared it the single worst movie I've ever seen and gave it the only 0/10 I've ever given. It's been, as previously stated, 6 years since I watched it, and while my memory of every aspect of it isn't as fresh as it used to be, my general thoughts on it haven't changed one bit. The original Thankskilling, in all its flagrant stupidity, functioned off the premise that an obvious puppet of a turkey that delivers terrible one-liners was killing people off. It was funny because of how ridiculous that was, and it played that up really well. But in this direct sequel (ha ha, it's funny because they skipped #2, which actually would have been much more appropriate now that I think of it) EVERYTHING is ridiculous.

I'll give one example of the kind of crap that's packed into this movie: a rapping grandma that's also a muppet who likes to put her fingers into her vagina and sniff them. This movie is full of things like that, and not only are they desperate, disgusting and just plain unfunny, but the movie doesn't seem to realize that the more garbage they shove into it, the less the concept of a killer turkey works. On a fundamental level, this is a deeply flawed movie that's constantly sabotaging itself by making everything surrounding the main villain even more ludicrous than the villain itself, which SHOULD be the most idiotic thing here. It's too much, it's never even mildly amusing, and it's way too long. Jordan Downey seems to have matured as a filmmaker since this abomination, which I can only consider a good thing. But this is the kind of blemish on his career that I don't think he'll ever be able to fully separate himself from.


And that's all I've got. Some of these movies are obviously far "worse" than others, but these are all movies that I just simply hate. If you don't agree with me, that's to be expected. Maybe you think my reasons are flawed, and if so, let me know. But I doubt my mind will be changing, so it's likely going to be a pointless exercise. Either way, thanks for reading.

No comments: