Saturday, May 30, 2020

A few words on The Gentlemen (2020)

The Gentlemen, d. Guy Ritchie


It's been a long time since Guy Ritchie has made a movie that I actually wanted to watch, and while this doesn't live up to the highs of his previous crime-comedies (Snatch and Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels), this isa definite step in the right direction, and one of the most entertaining movies I've seen so far this year.

I don't care for Charlie Hunnam, but he brought just the right level of self-seriousness to this role to make it work. Everyone else is pretty much exactly what they need to be, with Hugh Grant doing his best (yet again) to convince me that he's actually a very underrated actor.

The plot is a little hard to follow at times, with the passage of time and parallel stories occasionally bouncing around a little too much for me, but that might have been my own fault. Sometimes I don't pay too much attention, and though I enjoyed the film, I still wasn't 100% invested in it.

All-in-all, this is a fun little crime movie with some good laughs, clever scenes and set-ups, a likable ensemble cast, and a very welcome return to form for Guy Ritchie, whose sense of humor and fast paced filmmaking has been sorely missed.

7/10

No comments: