Monday, June 25, 2018

200 Items Or Less: The Company Of Wolves (1984)

A few thoughts: Fantasy has found its way into the mainstream over the past 15-20 years, and while I like Lord Of The Rings, Game Of Thrones, and Harry Potter as much as the next rational human, it's this brand of fantasy that I most often find myself gravitating towards. One of the things I really love about this movie was how it felt so much like a classic werewolf fairy tale. Although the creature effects are at times pretty shoddy, the context in which they take place has a bizarre charm to it that makes them work. The gore can get pretty intense, which contrasts the somewhat light nature of the rest of the movie -- a sort of midway point between Grimm and Disney. This is a story about storytelling, which adds layers to the plot in bizarre and creative ways. There were moments I felt like I was watching an anthology, but the way the overarching narrative weaves in and out felt far more natural than most anthologies. This is a beautiful looking movie with wonderful atmosphere, good performances, and full of visual and narrative creativity.


Who would I recommend it to? Anyone who enjoys good '80s fantasy, werewolf movies, or fairy tales. This movie works in a lot of different ways.

My grade: B+

No comments: