Monday, June 18, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Angel Heart (1987)

A few thoughts: Since I only write about specific genre films on here (check out my 200 items or less page on that), I feel like I'm cheating a little bit by writing about this one. But since it's so good, I don't mind bending the rules to include it. A psychological neo-noir horror mystery thriller with heavy religious themes and symbolism, this is the kind of film that's hard to box into a corner -- and that's one of the many things I love about it. Although one might find the twist ending a bit gimmicky, predictable, and/or lame, the way it's handled and functions to cap off the story is terrific, making every piece of the puzzle suddenly fit into its respective place. Mickey Rourke gives one of the best performances of his career here, fully letting the time and place absorb into him. He feels like a sleazier version of a Bruce Willis character from the 1950s. Robert De Niro does a solid job with his mysterious supporting role but never immerses himself like Rourke did. This is a dark film, with great cinematography, editing, and a cool plot.


Who would I recommend it to? People who like "horror" with less emphasis on scares and more on story. It's an awesome sort of neo-noir.

My grade: B

No comments: