Wednesday, June 27, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Army Of Darkness (1992)

A few thoughts: Although I'm not a huge fan of Evil Dead 2 (largely due to what I consider relentless failed attempts at humor), this follow-up is even more ridiculous and somehow I like it better. Set during medieval times, this movie embraces the campiness and craziness, and manages to make the most of this setting. It desperately wants to entertain the audience, and while I found it a bit annoying at times, I mostly enjoyed the insanity this time around. There are tons of weird effects shots, some look pretty good and others look like a pile of garbage, but in the end it all works due to how hard it's trying to be something big and fresh and new. Bruce Campbell brings a ton of energy to the role as he did in the previous one, and he gets a ton of funny and memorable one-liners. The cinematography and editing is fast and sharp, the set design is intricate (enough), the action is fun and the perfect level of corny...what else is there to say? I don't love it, but I have the feeling it could become a favorite of mine eventually. Only time will tell.


Who would I recommend it to? People who enjoy exaggerated, ridiculous, gory messes. After Evil Dead 2, this movie is the next logical step...somehow.

My grade: B-

No comments: