Saturday, June 23, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Buffy The Vampire Slayer (1992)

A few thoughts: Everyone knows the TV series but relatively few people seem aware of the movie that came out only a few years before -- and honestly while I enjoyed this movie, I don't see this as a particularly bad thing. It's hard not to compare the two, but it's fairly crucial to the enjoyment of it that you try not to go into this with the same level expectations, even if the cult following here is somewhat justified. The action scenes are dumb but fun due to the actors clearly having a fun time with it, and the dialogue is also pretty hit or miss -- you'll either find it hilarious or insufferable. I found myself mostly in the former, though it sometimes teetered on the fence. The script definitely had Joss Whedon all over it, implementing his usual subversive techniques, although the end product was clearly out of his hands. I enjoyed the cast, which ranged from serious to cartoonish, but it's Swanson's lead who makes it all work. Hauer was also fun. This isn't great but I enjoyed myself and it was pretty short so it never had a chance to wear me out.


Who would I recommend it to? People who enjoy Whedon's style of humor and like a lighthearted vampire movie. Solid cult comedy.

My grade: C

No comments: