Monday, May 28, 2018

TV Alley: The Sopranos

The Sopranos

Created by David Chase
1999 - 2007


Tony Soprano, (sorta) head of a New Jersey Mafia family and patriarch of a dysfunctional literal family, starts going to therapy. This is how the show begins, but the paths it takes beyond this are far more captivating.

Writing about this show has been done to death, which normally wouldn't really stop me, but since I have almost nothing new to add to the discussion, I'll keep it brief. When it comes to character development, motivation, suspense, dialogue, humor, production value, plot threads, experimental narrative, and overall cohesion, few shows can hold a candle to this. With a revolving door of memorable characters with well-defined arcs, The Sopranos has among the finest ensembles in TV history. Even the most annoying members of the cast are put to good use.

But the obvious highlight is James Gandolfini as Tony. Self-destructive, volatile, charming, and sensitive, Tony Soprano redefined TV leads, ushering in an era of anti-heroes who owe their entire existence to him. To call him layered and influential would be an extreme understatement. But let's not ignore his wife Carmella, played terrifically by Edie Falco. A character that could have easily been a nuisance like her children, Carmella is instead one of the most sympathetic on the show, as she frantically tries to keep her life and family from imploding.

I don't feel the need to go any further, but the main takeaway is this: The Sopranos is one of the best shows I've ever seen. And I say that that as someone who doesn't really care about the mafia as a subject matter. I know it's a cheap way to write a review, but I do this crap for free. You get what you pay for.

My grade: A

No comments: