Friday, May 18, 2018

TV Alley: House

House

Created by David Shore
2004 - 2012


A brilliant, egomaniacal, drug-addicted, misanthropic diagnostic doctor and his team take on bizarre and mysterious cases with no clear-cut cures. While it took me forever to actually get into this show, considering my general disinterest in medical dramas, now that I've finished it I can safely say it was one of the most satisfying shows I've ever seen.

The success of this show rests almost entirely, and unsurprisingly, on Hugh Laurie's performance as the titular doctor. His snarky comments and attitude towards everyone and everything are a defense mechanism, as could be expected, but just as is the case with Spock from Star Trek, his brief breaks of character are very rare and all the more powerful because of it. Although heavily inspired by Sherlock Holmes, Gregory House never feels like anything but his own invention. As both a dramatic and comedic character, I don't think there are many, or any, that can quite match him.

Episodic in nature, but unafraid of continuous storylines, House strikes the perfect balance between the two, giving each episode a central mystery with plenty of great character moments surrounding them. The interplay between House and the rest of the cast is always entertaining, but when things get dark they don't shy away at all. Particularly halfway through the series and beyond, there are some genuinely dark and depressing episodes and moments, but the way they play into the show nearly always come about naturally. This show doesn't just get dark for darkness' sake. Individual scenes and moments may sometimes pass by without future reference, and other times they might go on to define an entire season. You never quite know what's going to come into play later, and that makes the decisions made by the characters all the more powerful.

One of the things that really blew me away about this show is just how consistent it was. While there were a handful of disposable episodes throughout the series, I can't say there were any I didn't derive any enjoyment from. For a show that ran for the better part of a decade, totaling roughly 120 hours, that is pretty impressive if you ask me. And when you consider my general disinterest in medical shows, Sherlock Holmes, and dramas that try really hard to be funny, it stands out even more.

The way the show edits and shoots different scenes, particularly during its openings, to match the genre and tone of the story it's telling is also well-executed. The more twisted and creepy scenes are often presented in atmospheric ways using unconventional camera angles and off-kilter lighting, while lighter moments match the current mood of the characters with soft lighting and comfortable settings. It's an odd sort of thing to see used in a show like this, but considering the emotional nature of its presentation and character arcs, it's very fitting. Not many shows or movies implement this kind of tonal storytelling through their visuals this well, but when it's executed properly, it can really heighten the experience as it does here.

All-in-all, this was a hard show to get myself committed to at first, but once I did, it didn't take long for me to get completely sucked in. There are a couple of annoying characters and brief weak points, but with House at the center of the show, it all worked out for me. I became addicted to seeing what might happen to him next. I loved watching this all unfold and I'm already going through withdrawals only a week or two after finishing it. I could only describe my attitude towards the whole experience as loving it.

My grade: A

No comments: