Thursday, May 31, 2018

200 Items Or Less: A Lizard In A Woman's Skin (1971)

A few thoughts: Probably my favorite Fulci (at least that I can recall right now, this very instant), which blends bizarrely nightmarish atmosphere with a fairly straight forward giallo plot. As could be expected of pretty much any Italian horror/crime film, the lighting is pretty cool and the acting is pretty lousy -- these movies care a lot more about mood and vibe than they do with traditional goodness. The story itself kept me on my toes. I never quite knew what to expect, and when answers are given, twists reveal more than what seemed on the surface to be a pretty simple case. Though it doesn't exactly feature the most shocking plot twist I've ever seen, it was still relatively unexpected and didn't feel cheap. I've had my issues with Fulci movies in the past, but this one has me wanting to second-guess myself and give him another try. The gore effects are VERY Italian, blending what looks like red finger paint with semi-realistic blood. What more can I say? This is what giallo looks like, and it's a pretty good one as well.


Who would I recommend it to? People who've already gone through the obligatory Italian horror films and want to dig a little deeper than the most popular Argento and Bava movies.

My grade: C+

No comments: