Friday, May 11, 2018

200 Items Or Less: 2001 Maniacs (2005)

A few thoughts: A movie of almost admirable sleaziness, this loose remake of the splatter classic 'Two Thousand Maniacs' by Herschell Gordon Lewis follows the same basic story as the original, but with more gore, sex, and general exploitation-iness. What else could you expect from it? This movie establishes pretty quickly how serious it's meant to be taken: not at all. This is pure trash through and through, and it doesn't ever pretend to be anything else. Apart from a particularly over the top and entertainingly lively performance from Robert Englund, the cast is mostly there for looks alone. The protagonists are all attractive and young, so they don't have to know how to act. Seeing Eli Roth's name in the credits wasn't a surprise to me at all, considering the kind of characters the movie is filled with. It's designed to be a guilty pleasure, so shouldn't be judged as anything but just that. Oh, and did I mention Lin Shaye's in this, too? She and Englund really are what works best here. The rest of the movie is dumb, but entertaining enough...I guess.


Who would I recommend it to? I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but fans of Englund might find him enjoyable here. I know I did.

My grade: D+

No comments: