Sunday, January 5, 2020

Oscar Predictions 2020: Best Actress

Not as full of a category as Best Actor, but there's still some strong competition here. Let's go down the list and see how wrong I'll be.



8. Alfre Woodard, Clemency
Definitely not one I expect to see named when Oscar nominees are announced, but her incredible reviews might be enough to see her make the cut. Time well tell, although her inclusion does seem unlikely.


7. Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
With a few Oscar nominations and an acclaimed movie that just might earn a handful itself, Ronan might not have gotten the SAG nomination, but her Oscar chances are still there.


6. Awkwafina, The Farewell
This movie is still very up in the air for me. Everything about it seems just slightly teetering on the brink of awards attention. But Awkwafina is the most likely thing about the movie to score a nomination as far as I'm concerned.


5. Lupita Nyong'o, Us
I hesitate to call this one a sure thing, but Nyong'o has done so well at various awards this year for her performance, I have a hard time ignoring it. This prediction is equal parts hopeful and posible.


4. Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
These top 4 feel like basically guaranteed nominations. This one just lands in 4th because the movie as a whole seems to be largely ignored.


3. Charlize Theron, Bombshell
I don't see Theron winning for this one, but it is a transformative looking performance. Nomination is coming, but a win is still an outside shot.


2. Renee Zellweger, Judy
She seems to be just about everyone's top pick for Best Actress, but I see her just missing the mark. A surefire nominee, but a win is still hard for me to predict.


1. Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
This will be her first nomination, and I think she's going to win it. God knows she deserves it, but we'll see.

No comments: