Sunday, January 19, 2020

200 Items Or Less: Live And Let Die (1973)

A few thoughts: I've always been more of a Connery fan when it comes to Bond movies, but that's probably because I was raised on those. But had I been raised on Moore, this would have still probably not been one of my favorites. While I enjoy the villains here in particular (Kananga, Baron Samedi, and that guy with the hook make for a pretty awesome trio of bad guys), the rest of the movie is somewhat lacking. Between the meh humor, absence of Q, overlong running time, and frankly bizarre story, this movie definitely has a unique feel that's totally independent from the Connery films, but I'm not sure if that's a very good thing. But at least they realized how important it was to define Moore in his own way. Moore is a pretty solid Bond, and he definitely has his own set of charms that work for the character, but he isn't given a ton to work with here -- the setting and supporting cast are the highlight. It's an odd movie with some cool aspects, but it's not one of my favorites.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of James Bond, mainly. Also, people curious with seeing the spy genre blended in with voodoo mysticism and blaxsploitation.

My grade: C-

No comments: