Monday, February 26, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Tales From The Crypt (1972)

A few thoughts: As much as I love Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors, I think this one has to be my favorite of Amicus' horror anthologies. With a very simple but effective wraparound story (complete with a cloaked "crypt keeper", not to be mistaken with the TV show's host), this one wastes no time getting straight into twisted stories that manage to get under your skin and elicit strong emotional reactions. Definitely the most effective of the bunch has to be the one with (are you ready to be surprised?) Peter Cushing, whose performance as a sad old man is totally heartbreaking. The opening Christmas-themed segment is wonderfully twisted as well, and their take on the Monkey's Paw is probably my favorite ever put on film. As a whole, this movie is violent and unsettling on an existential level, the stories are more emotionally charged than their previous anthology films, and even the fifth segment (which is easily my least favorite in the film) has enough going for it to keep me entertained throughout. A top-tier anthology film.


Who would I recommend it to? Anyone interested in getting into horror anthologies. This is a great collection of storis that deserve to be seen by horror fans.

My grade: B+

No comments: