Thursday, February 8, 2018

200 Items Or Less: The Fall Of The House Of Usher (1928)

A few thoughts: One of the first things I noticed about this movie is the vast emptiness in which it all takes place. This giant mansion with large open spaces makes up the backdrop, while the bizarre and experimental editing often fills up the foreground, slowly building g up until it eventually bombards you with twisted imagery and supernatural hallucinations. This was written by Luis Bunuel, after all, so I would expect nothing less. Instead of adapting the Poe source material in a more conventional way, this movie works mostly as an experiment in tone and atmosphere. Instead of recalling plot points, you'll most likely look back on images, or the way you felt while watching it. This is by no means a conventional film, horror or otherwise. I honestly found myself feeling uncomfortable enough while watching it that I had trouble continually looking at the screen, the atmosphere clinging to me even when I'd look away. It's clichéd to say, but this isn't just a movie you watch, you experience it. And considering how much it accomplishes in just over an hour, it becomes all the more impressive.


Who would I recommend it to? Anyone who can enjoy silent movies. When it comes to '20s horror, this is probably in my personal top 5.

My grade: A-

No comments: